top of page

Hepatitis A Outbreak

Many of you in Hawaii are already aware of the Hepatitis outbreak here on Oahu, linked to a popular sushi restaurant serving infected scallops. However, for those of you who have or are recently traveling to the East Coast beware!!! There has recently been an outbreak of Hepatitis linked to Frozen Strawberries!!!!!!!

Now many of you may already know about what Hepatitis is and how it is transmitted but here at House Call Medical, we want to give you a quick rundown on the FAQS of Hepatitis A!!!

1. Check with your most recent doctor or medical records to see if have been vaccinated in the past.

If you have been previously vaccinated with 2 doses of the Hepatitis A vaccine, the CDC, does not recommend any further booster shots! You are protected for a minimum of 25 years to life!!!

2. If unsure and/or no known prior immunity, please get vaccinated!!! Especially if you might have been recently exposed!

If going to the pharmacy please call ahead to check if they have it in stock and how long the wait times are. Then, ask to see if they will require a prescription from your doctor. FYI: Most urgent care or walk-in clinics don't require prescriptions! BUT, MAKE SURE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WILL COVER THE VACCINE!!!!

3. Signs and symptoms for Hepatitis A symptoms could take up to 50 days to present itself

4. In Hawaii please be careful for other sources of Hepatitis A! Our State Epidemiologist stated that roughly only 70% of Hepatitis A cases in Hawaii were linked to raw scallops. This means that the other 30% of patients currently infected, has not had a confirmed source of infection!!!!

As always please leave any comments, Like and Share on your facebook page if you found this information helpful


House Call Medical Practice LLC.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Yelp Social Icon
bottom of page